Monday, January 4, 2010

Tomato Seed Catalogs Using Lights Or Heating Pads For Seed Germination?

Using lights or heating pads for seed germination? - tomato seed catalogs

I started some tomato seeds and seedlings to say about keeping catalogs. 75 degrees to keep warm enough to germinate. I have them under fluorescent light, but not enough to warm them, when I put a heating pad under the tray of seeds as well. Is it okay to use both? I too can the lights on until the seeds germinate, and then only 12-14 hours a day? I appreciate the help!

2 comments:

xLillyx said...

I'm not quite sure about the issue, but I work in a greenhouse and a little Sprouter that no additional lighting and heating using steam to keep the plants moist trays .. I think the way the heat, that would be the most important of the two. But I look with light and heat to harm them.

According to our tomato plants, "Pop," Go and start growing with a normal cycle of daylight. So I have the 12-14hrs after he would say it pop.

Hondu said...

The tomato seeds do not need much light to germinate, do not care so much about the light until the true leaves appear. You can then use lots of light. A number of hours is not really important. I just happen to light when I wake up in the morning and before bed. Enough light for plants to have "long legs" for them. If you use a heating pad to regulate the speed of germination to be careful not to overheat.

Post a Comment